According to the available records, the history of East Kameng District can be traced back to 1914 when it was shown as a part of Darrang District of Assam, but Government of India notification in the same year, it was declared as a part of the ‘Western Section’ of the ‘North-East Trontier Tract’. In 1919, the ‘North–East Frontier Tract’ was renamed as ‘Balipara Tract’ with it’s headquarter at Charduar, Assam. The year 1946 witnessed division of this new Tract into ‘Sela Agency’ and ‘Subansiri Area’ , however, the administrative headquarter of both remained at Charduar. In 1954, the ‘Sela Agency’ was christened the ‘Kameng Frontier Division’ with its new headquarter at Bomdila and finally in 1965, this ‘Division’ was named as ‘Kameng District’ after the name of a river ‘the Kameng’, but the headquarters remained at Bomdila. In June 1980, Kameng District was bifurcated into two parts, namely, East Kameng(formerly known as ‘Seppa Sub-division’) and West Kameng (formerly known as Bomdila Sub-division) under the Reorganisation of District Act(May 1980). The new district East Kameng came into existence in June 1980 with its separate headquarter at Seppa.
The East Kameng District is divided into two subdivisions namely, Seppa and Chayengtajo. Administrative responsibility of Seppa Subdivision directly lies with the Deputy Commissioner, East Kameng District. The Chayengtajo Sub-division is under the charge of an Extra Assistant Commissioner General in a Subdivision is under the charge of an Addl. Deputy Commissioner). The Deputy Commissioner, however, is the head of the entire district administration. A circle is treated as the lowest unit of administrative machinery which is looked after by a Circle Officer. At present there 13 circles in the East Kameng district. A circle is defined as a group of villages and not as a territorial unit. Area figures below the level of the district are not available. The villages have their own customary administrative system in the form of tradition village councils. The Assam Frontier (Administration of Justice) Regulation, 1945 authorises the village councils to settle all civil cases and certain criminal cases falling within their jurisdictions. Besides, the Deputy Commissioner is invested with the powers of sessions judges and some Officers are given magisterial power Assam High Court has jurisdiction over the District Courts and hold appellate and revisional power. The Arunachal Police assists the district authorities to maintain law and order. But since the department is very new the number of police personnel is not sufficient to cover large area, this however, does not adversely affect the administration of justice.
Since 1975, the Union Territory received a full-fledged legislative Assembly and the members (MLA) are elected on the basis of universal adult Franchise systems of secret ballot who are participating in the administration of the Territory/District, besides the Panchayat Raj members.
At the time when 1981 Census was taken, following was the administrative set up of the district.
District Headquarters: Seppa
1. Seppa ……….……….. 1. Seppa.
2. Chayengtajo ……......…… 1. Chayengtajo